Hugo is the latest addition to the cocktail family. It is a sparkling Prosecco with the scent of lemon balm or elderberry cordial and fresh mint. The slightly alcoholic and delicious aperitif from the region of Trentino, South Tyrol has become a cult drink in recent years.
Who invented Hugo?
In 2005, in search of a drink that women would love, Roland Gruber – a bartender from the region of Trentino, South Tyrol – had the brilliant idea of adding soda to Prosecco and flavouring it with lemon balm cordial and a few mint leaves.
At a tasting session, the creation was served to regulars as well as friends, and the drink was received with surprising success. The restaurant in Naturns near Meran, where the native South Tyrolean worked, then decided to add the drink to the cocktail menu as a house drink. The name came about by chance. Hugo: short, concise, not only easy to remember but also to order. Nevertheless – as Mr. Gruber often reveals in his interviews – the drink could have had a completely different name - Otto perhaps?
The original mixture
The original mixture was very simple: 15 cl chilled Prosecco, a couple of mint leaves, a shot of soda and 2 cl lemon balm cordial. Even though it is not the original, the variation with elderberry syrup is one of the most popular drinks of all and has, for years, been providing a sparkling refreshment after a long, summer day. Have you had a chance to decide which version you like better?
- 15 cl Prosecco, chilled
- 2 cl elderberry syrup , or lemon balm syrup
- a couple mint leaves
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice, or lime juice
- 3 ice cubes
- shot sparkling mineral water, or soda water
- slice lemon, or lime for decoration of the glass or as a garnish
- Put the ice cubes, the syrup and the mint leaves into a red wine glass. I recommend to lightly pat the mint leaves beforehand as this will activate the aroma of the herb.
- Pour freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice into the glass. Place a slice of lemon or lime in the glass and add cold Prosecco. Wait a little, then add some sparkling mineral water.
Cin Cin and enjoy your cocktail
Leave a Reply